Experience, discover, and celebrate design in Downtown Providence and across the state! Over the course of 12 days, you’ll have a chance to participate in tours, eat and speak lunches, panel discussions, happy hours, and more.
Here are a few DESIGN WEEK RI highlights in and around the downtown area:
- Thursday, September 14th: Participate in Drink & Ink at AS220, starting at 6:30 PM. With guidance from AS220’s Community Printshop, experiment with silkscreen, monotyping and/or letterpress printing projects.
- Friday, September 15th: See how artists, designers, and nonprofit organizations transform metered parking spaces into temporary public parks, otherwise known as parklets during Park(ing) Day.
- Saturday, September 16th: Explore the Providence Children’s Museum and participate in drop-in design activities during a Buffet of Blocks, Bytes, and Bars.
- Sunday, September 17th: Tour landscape architect Adam Anderson’s 10,000 SUNS: Cultivating the Urban Landscape through Seeds and Community, near Dollar Street between South Main and South Water streets.
- Monday, September 18th: Listen to featured speaker Ryan Lesser, a local designer, musician and visual artist best known for creating influential video games.
- Tuesday, September 19th: Hear Design Week RI keynote speaker Anthony Pannozzo, executive creative director of Frog Design, at the Metcalf Auditorium in the RISD Museum Chace Center, 7-9 PM.
- Wednesday, September 20th: Start your day from 8:30 to 10 AM with a breakfast panel in the RI State House Library, discussing design’s role in cities. Continue with the Eat + Speak lunch series at Mojotech, 56 Exchange Terrace, at 12 PM, and finish the day at the Marathon Clambake at Aurora, 276 Westminster Street, featuring four local designers.
- Friday, September 22nd: Look for architectural gems during the AIAri scavenger hunt, from 6-8 PM, starting at the AIAri space at One Empire Street.
- Saturday, September 23rd: Get free access to more than 20 special spaces throughout the city during the inaugural Doors Open RI festival from 10 AM to 6 PM. Follow that event with a stop at the Ocean State Oyster Festival on South Water Street (through 7 PM), and WaterFire that night (until 11).
Other major events–including the kickoff party and Design Hall of Fame awards are scheduled in venues outside the downtown area. For more information about tickets and availability, visit designxri.com.