Don’t miss the chance to see competing teams “canstruct” themed sculptures, using thousands of canned goods! The sixth biennial Canstruction® Rhode Island sculpture exhibit begins on Saturday morning, March 12th in the Providence Place skybridge concourse. By 10 AM, shapes should be recognizable.
Canstruction® RI benefits the Rhode Island Community Food Bank by raising awareness about problems of hunger. The participating teams hope to inspire more donors and volunteers, as they aim to beat their 2014 donation of more than 28,340 lbs. of non-perishable food.
Competing teams include:
- Brewster Thornton Group Architects and Gilbane Building Co., both Providence companies
- Construction Leadership Council of the R.I. Chapter of Associated General Contractors, Providence
- Dimeo Construction Co., Providence, and Edward Rowse Architects Inc., Providence
- Durkee, Brown, Viveiros & Werenfels Architects, Providence; Odeh Engineers, Providence; Parker Construction Co., East Providence; and Herrick & White Architectural Woodworkers, Cumberland
- LLB Architects, Pawtucket, and Shawmut Design and Construction, Providence
- Saccoccio & Associates, Cranston; DiPrete Engineering, Providence; and H. V. Collins Co., Providence
Canstruction® is sponsored nationally by the Society for Design Administration and locally by Rhode Island chapters of the American Institute of Architects, Associated General Contractors, and private companies and organizations. A panel of independent jurors will select award winners (and honorable mentions) for Best Meal, Best Use of Labels, Structural Integrity and Jurors’ Favorite. Viewers can also vote for the local People’s Choice award at rifoodbank.org. Sculptures will remain in place through Friday, March 25th. Check Facebook for more details!