FirstWorks is honoring its 10th anniversary with a 4 day celebration, ending with an Urban Carnevale on Saturday, September 20th. Organized in partnership with the City of Providence, the free public celebration will bring performers from Australia, Italy, Morocco, and Mali to the Providence Rink and surrounding parks in Kennedy Plaza.
The lineup includes Australia’s Strange Fruit, a troupe of daredevil dancers suspended high above the crowd within illuminated globes against the night sky; ancient rhythms and wild dance by Italy’s Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino, and the exotic gypsy spirit of Morocco with the funk/jazz blend of Ribab Fusion; a collaboration with Providence’s Afrika Nyaga 6th Annual Festival; and 100 voices joining in a preview of RPM Voices’ RI-Sounding Voices, a convergence of choruses from across the state.
- A temporary sculpture park designed by The Avenue Concept that features artwork displayed on converted pedestals from old RIPTA bus shelters removed during the ongoing KennedyPlaza renovations.
- A surprise Tape Art installation around the Providence Rink pavilion on Friday, September 19th.
- The Providence Peace Flags Project, a spiritual ritual.
- A FirstWorks Rising Stars performance, showcasing dancers, drummers, and musicians of Napua O’ Polynesia.
- An open jam session with Italian artists Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino, accompanied by RISD students and faculty members creating paintings, video and sculpture.
The Urban Carnevale kicks off a year-long effort, supported by an NEA Our Town grant and other sources that will culminate in the FirstWorks Festival on the Plaza in 2015. Find the schedule and other details at first-works.org and on Facebook.