The air may be chilly, but that’s no excuse to stay home this weekend. Bundle up and experience the best of downtown Providence! Here are a few ideas:
- Go shopping! At Queen of Hearts’ Holiday Bash on Friday, December 14th, from 5-9 pm, enjoy beer and wine while you browse.
- Gather your girlfriends on Friday for Luna’s Ladies Night at the Roots Cafe.
- Stroll through the 2nd Annual Christmas WaterFire on Friday, December 14th! At 5 pm, fires will be lit from the basin to Steeple Street. At 6 pm, watch the WaterFire Christmas tree lighting, and join in for caroling at 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30. This event benefits the Providence Rescue Mission.
- On Friday or Saturday, see Jumping Rope and Turning Tricks, a play written and directed by David Eliet at the Empire Black Box theater. The play, which was highly recommended by the BBC World Service’s International Playwriting Competition, explores issues related to artists’ ethics.
- See The Nutcracker at PPAC, presented by Festival Ballet! Performances are at 8 pm on December 14th; 2 and 7 pm on December 15th, and 1:30 pm on the 16th.
- Cheer on your local hockey team, the Providence Bruins! They play the Springfield Falcons at 7:05 pm on December 14th and the St. John’s Icecaps at 3:05 pm on Sunday, December 16th. Both games are at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center. Look for specials like $5 off Fridays and Buy 1 Get 1 Free Sundays!
- Check out the Providence Holiday Market at Grant’s Block on Saturday from 11-4. Don’t miss Santa and Mrs. Claus spreading cheer throughout the neighborhood!
- Listen to the a capella Very Merry Dickens Carolers at the Providence Public Library at pm on Sunday, December 16th.
- Go ice skating at the Bank of America City Center, open from 11 am to 10 pm on weekends!
There’s plenty more to do! Visit the downtown events calendar for fun activities throughout the holiday season, and don’t forget about FREE 2 hour on-street parking from 10-6!