Join the Downtown Providence Parks Conservancy for a summer of fun! The programming season kicks off with Kidoinfo Play in the Park on Tuesday afternoons during the Downtown Farmers Market. From 3-6pm each week, this FREE program offers a range of activities covering music, art, science, nature, and other topics. Check out the DPPC’s Imagination Center, featuring the Open Air Reading Room and Creative Playspace with books, arts and crafts, theater projects, and other activities.
On July 10th, the series kicks off with playSCIENCE’s Miss Katie presenting Powerful Percussion. From 4:30–6pm, Malian drummer Sidy Maiga hosts an Open Drum Circle. Look for other fun themes throughout the summer and early fall:
- Providence Children’s Film Festival’s Stop Motion Workshop (July 17, August 21)
- playSCIENCE’s Miss Katie presents Super Seeds (July 24)
- Audubon Society of Rhode Island presents Live Raptors (July 31)
- Biomes Marine Biology Center presents Traveling Tidepool (August 7)
- playSCIENCE’s Miss Katie presents Marking Music and Sidy Maiga hosts an Open Drum Circle (August 14)
- playSCIENCE’s Miss Katie presents Incredible Ice (August 28)
On Thursdays from 10:30am to 12:30pm, the DPPC hosts the FREE Kidoinfo Storytime + Art in the Park series, with free face painting by Ratt Scallion Face Painting! During Storytime, from 10:30 to 11:30am, local authors, illustrators, storytellers, and performers share stories with children and adults. Immediately following, from 11:30am to 12:30pm, Art in the Park brings inconic children’s books to life through hands-on art projects led by local artist Alison Paul. This year’s theme is Where the Sidewalk Ends, poems and drawings by Shel Silverstein.
- Big Nazo (July 12)
- Valerie Tutson (July 19)
- The Rainbow Beard Show & Friends (July 26)
- Alison Paul & Jen Corace (August 2)
- Keith Munslow – Musician/Storyteller (August 9)
- Len Cabral (August 16)
After these programs, the Imagination Center will remain open until 2pm. And every day, Brandon’s Beach at Burnside Park, downtown’s one-of-a-kind playground is open during daylight hours. Follow DPPC on Facebook for updates throughout the season!