Get to know some of Providence’s hidden treasures during Jane’s Walk, a global festival on the first weekend in May! Inspired by urban activist Jane Jacobs, these free walks are led by volunteer citizen guides who share knowledge of their own communities while inspiring participants to think, talk, and connect.
The following walks are currently scheduled for the 2017 festival weekend. (Note that advance registration is not required except for the Friday afternoon walk focused on Rhode Island and the International Slave Trade).
Thursday, May 4th:
- Providence Infrastructure (led by Ian Baldwin): outside Union Station Brewery, 6:00 PM.
Friday, May 5th:
- Rhode Island and the International Slave Trade (led by Elon Cook): intersection of Brown and Power streets, 2:30 PM.
- Providence at Night (led by Barbara Barnes and Jennifer Wilson): POSTPONED DUE TO RAIN
Saturday May 6th:
- Discover the Moshassuck River (led by Greg Gerritt): head of the tide of the river, 9:00 AM.
- Explore Providence’s River District (led by Seth Zeren and Barnaby Evans): Foundry visitor parking lot, 9:30 AM.
- Roger Williams Park (led by Jessica David and Chris Ackley): Monument to Roger Williams, 10:00 AM.
- Citizens of the North Burial Ground (led by Catherine Hurst, Fran Leazes): Steps inside entrance, North Main and Cemetery streets, 10:30 AM.
- Providence’s Waterfront—the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (led by David Brussat): Crawford Street Bridge, 12:00 PM.
- Revisiting a Northern Elmwood Neighborhood in the Making (led by Doug Victor): Dialysis Center of Rhode Island parking lot, 12:30 PM.
- West Broadway/Armory Walk (led by Taylor Polites): Bell Street Chapel, 2:00 PM.
Sunday, May 7th:
- Summit Neighborhood: What happened to the circus? (led by Ed Neubauer and Mike Fink): Rochambeau monument, 11:00 AM.
- The Historic Jewelry District—Past, Present, and Future (led by Olin Thompson): small wooden park at corner of Richardson and Ship Streets, 12:00 PM.
- Providence’s Latino Cultural Corridor (led by Marta Martinez): Mi Sueno restaurant, 1070 Broad Street, 12:00 PM.
- Transit and Placemaking to Create a New Downtown Corridor (led by Greg Nordin and Anne Galbraith): Kennedy Plaza berth E, 2:00 PM.
- Walk West Fountain Street (led by Sarah Zurier and Adrienne Gagnon): NE corner of Dean and Washington streets, 3:30 PM.
The schedule is subject to change. Find more information about the global festival at janeswalk.org/.