We are currently seeking an Executive Director to lead and further unify the work of the following three entities which collaborate in their vision to make Providence, Rhode Island, particularly the downtown district, the premier mid-sized city in the country:
• The Providence Foundation, a private sector, 40 year old 501(c)(3) organization that is supported by 140 leading companies and institutions.
• The Providence Downtown Providence Improvement District, a 12 year old public benefit district.
• The Downtown Providence Parks Conservancy, an 8 year old downtown parks advocacy group.
With a combined operational budget of almost $2,500,000, The Providence Foundation, the Providence Downtown Improvement District and the Downtown Providence Parks Conservancy work closely together to advocate on behalf of downtown Providence and undertake actions that enhance downtown’s business and investment environment, quality of life and people’s enjoyment of public space. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual to build on the successes of the three organizations and fulfill the ambitious program that has been established by the leaders of the organizations to develop a high performing urban district.
The Executive Director is accountable for the overall leadership, direction and management of the organizations’ resources to accomplish key goals, further the mission and build relationships throughout the community. The responsibilities include the management of The Providence Foundation, the Providence Downtown Improvement District and the activities of the Downtown Providence Parks Conservancy. Reporting to the governing boards, this position leads a team of professionals who advocate and support the downtown revitalization efforts of the three entities.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• Managing and supervising the operations of The Providence Foundation, the Providence Downtown Improvement District and the Downtown Providence Parks Conservancy. Guiding the growth of the organizations and further integrating the operations of the three entities into one powerful voice and endeavor.
• In conjunction with leadership, planning and developing strategies for implementation of the Action Plan for 2017 and subsequent years’ Action Plans to achieve the organizations’ goals and objectives.
• Relationship and partnership building with the public and private entities including the City of Providence, State of Rhode Island, downtown businesses, residents, higher education, medical and cultural institutions, as well as other not-for-profit organizations; the Executive Director will be the chief advocate to the public sector.
• Recruiting, hiring, leading, developing, mentoring and motivating staff.
• Overseeing and being accountable for planning, developing and directing fundraising strategies to support the mission and objectives of the three entities. Ensuring financial sustainability and sound financial practices.
• Managing and communicating within and outside the organization; serving as the primary external contact and spokesperson; overseeing branding strategies and marketing programs for downtown.
• Promoting downtown as the chief salesperson by generating, facilitating and nurturing actions that build up downtown to achieve the mission; collaborating with members, city and state government representatives, businesses and corporations, property owners, developers, institutions, and cultural groups that are interested in developing or investing in downtown.
• Proactively building external partnerships and actively developing and maintaining positive community relations.
The successful candidate must possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in the preferred fields of planning, public administration, business, real estate, design or related field. A graduate degree is preferred.
The Executive Director will have at least 5 years of progressive experience that includes some combination of urban real estate development, urban planning, public place making, interaction with public-private partnerships, working with civic and/or non-profit entities, as well as a strong business and managerial background. They must have excellent business, financial and leadership skills, including a proven background in managing and supervising in a team-oriented work environment. The Executive Director must have a track record of building and leveraging relationships within and among a diverse group of stakeholders in either a downtown community or business/nonprofit setting and must be able to champion downtown activity and facilitate growth. Experience in managing a downtown organization including a business improvement district and a not-for-profit parks advocacy group is preferred.
Our preferred candidate is an energetic leader who can engage others in the community and build and strengthen relationships amongst all stakeholders. A true collaborator and skilled communicator, as the public face for the organizations, this individual will be able to proactively develop effective internal and external relationships, and engage board members, staff, donors, funders, partners and community stakeholders. He or she should possess the following attributes:
• Have a leadership style that is collaborative and effective working with boards, staff and the public, relying on others for mutual success.
• Be a strong relationship and network builder who is transparent in his/her actions, with excellent listening, verbal, and presentation skills.
• Be action-oriented, nimble minded, and passionate about crafting alliances around critical projects.
• Be a visionary who is innovative and able to creatively achieve desired results.
• Be a leader who exhibits perseverance and endurance in achieving results.
• Be more of a generalist versus a specialist.
This is an excellent opportunity for a dynamic leader who is truly committed to making a positive contribution to the community. Our Compensation and Benefit package are competitive for the field and will be commensurate with experience, qualifications and record of achievement.
Candidates should submit a cover letter describing their interest in this position, resume, three references and salary requirements by March 24, 2017 to:
Cynthia Butler, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Butler & Associates Human Resources Consulting
For more information visit: www.provfoundation.com, downtownprovidence.com, and provparksconservancy.org. Download and print a copy of the posting here.