On the August 21st Gallery Night, the RISD Museum will host Design the Night, an evening of merriment to celebrate its new exhibition, Circus! From 5-9 PM on Thursday, stop by the museum to enjoy a short tour, create wearable circus artwork, and be entertained by a variety of performers.
Outside the museum, check out Circus on the Plaza at Chace Center Plaza, 20 North Main Street. See the custom circus tent created by RISD alums Matthew Muller and August Lehrecke of design studio Pneuhaus, and enjoy a stilt walker, unicyclist, juggler, tarot card reader, and other entertainment. Food will be available for purchase from Rosie and Like No Udder food trucks, and drinks are offered through a cash bar.
Visit Facebook for updates on other activities including:
- Screenings of Le Grand Cirque Calder 1927 at 5, 6, and 7 PM in the ChaceCenter’s Metcalf Auditorium.
- An artist tour with guide Kristen Minsky, a RISD alum and director of Chifferobe Events, at 5:30 PM.
- A tour of the new Circus exhibition with curator Alison Chang at 6:30 PM.
- A ‘What Makes You Colorful?’ puppet performance written and performed by artist Kylie Why, featuring Samara Hanon, at 7 PM in the Grand Gallery.
- An artist lab with Xander Marro at 7 PM in the Fain Room, encouraging you to explore stop-motion animation.