The Providence Place skybridge concourse will be a canstruction® site on Saturday, March 8th! The theme and designs will be revealed that morning. Wake up early to cheer on the seven teams of architects and contractors while they create sculptures out of thousands of food cans, competing for juried awards for the Best Meal, Best Use of Labels, Structural Ingenuity and Jurors’ Favorite. Viewer can also vote for the People’s Choice award.
Organized by the American Institute of Architects-Rhode Island chapter with support from volunteers and donors, the 5th biennial Canstruction® Rhode Island exhibit benefits the Rhode Island Community Food Bank. Designed to raise awareness about hunger and the growing need for donations, the amazing exhibits will remain in place through March 21st. After that, the cans will be transported to the food bank, which serves 68,000 people per month. Local teams include:
- Construction Leadership Council of the R.I. Chapter of Associated General Contractors
- Dimeo Construction Co. and Vision 3 Architects
- Durkee, Brown, Viveiros & Werenfels Architects; GTECH Corporation; Herrick & White; and Odeh Engineers
- Gilbane Building Co. and Jo Ann Bentley Architect, Inc.
- LLB Architects; Shawmut Design and Construction; and Fuzion Design, Pawtucket
- Northeast Collaborative Architects; Veri-Waterman Associates; Building Engineering Resources LLC, and Kasabian Construction Inc.
- Saccoccio & Associates and DiPrete Engineering
For more details, visit rifoodbank.org.
(Photo: George Lavoie, 2012)